Equinix will extend access to Alibaba Cloud for 17 additional global metros via its interconnection network as Asia-Pacific’s largest Infrastructure-as-a-Service provider targets to reach more and more markets.
For Alibaba Cloud – already a major cloud player – the Equinix partnership means that it will be able to access markets like Dubai, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Jakarta, London, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo, Chicago, Dallas and Denver. Alibaba Cloud and Equinix are in a partnership since 2017.
Equinix uses Platform Equinix and Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric to provide private data center interconnection access for companies seeking to tap into low-latency public cloud providers. Equinix has witnessed strong demand as businesses are increasingly becoming hybrid and multi-cloud with respect to their infrastructure.
Alibaba Cloud, which saw an increase of 58 percent in its last quarter, has typically been a provider of infrastructure to companies in Asia-Pacific and China. However, Equinix will enable the company to reach more than 9,700 customers, including enterprises, network operators, and cloud and IT service providers.
As a part of the agreement, Alibaba Cloud will integrate its API with Equinix’s ECS Fabric so that customers can build and manage private connections on-demand in any of the 45 ECX Fabric metros. Alibaba’s computing, storage, big data, and other services will also be available.
Alibaba Cloud will be available via the Equinix Platform in 9 US metros — Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Seattle, Silicon Valley, and Washington DC.
The partnership also covers five Asia-Pacific metros, including Hong Kong, Jakarta, Singapore, Sydney and Tokyo, and three EMEA metros in Dubai, Frankfurt, and London.
- Alibaba Cloud offers a comprehensive suite of cloud computing services to businesses worldwide, including Elastic Compute Service, Storage, Relational Databases, Big Data Solution, and CDN. It will be a rich and diverse ecosystem that ranges from e-commerce and payments to logistics and supply chain management solutions.
- According to Gartner, Alibaba Group ‘s market share in the global IaaS market increased to 9.1 percent in 2019, up from 7.7 percent in 2018. To aid its increasing international business, Alibaba Cloud distributes its IT infrastructure in 17 metros across the Americas, Asia-Pacific, and EMEA: a) 9 American Metros: Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Seattle, Silicon Valley and Washington DC; b) 5 Asia-Pacific Metros: Hong Kong, Jakarta, Singapore, Sydney, and Tokyo; c) 3 EMEA MetrosL Dubai, Frankfurt, and London.
- Alibaba Cloud API integration with ECX Fabric enables seamless and streamlined customer access. Enterprises can ensure a stable connection between their network and Alibaba Cloud via a single portal in a matter of minutes. It enables companies to retain private clouds and manage confidential information within Equinix IBX data centers in the vicinity of Alibaba Cloud while taking advantage of its versatility, scalability, and cost-saving advantages.
- IT Decision-makers are adapting to an increasingly competitive environment, many are accelerating their digital transformation efforts and prioritizing the adoption of hybrid multi-cloud solutions. Platform Equinix has more than 40 percent of the public cloud on-ramps in the markets where it operates, which is the largest share globally, making it important for any organization that deploys hybrid multi-cloud on edge.
- Available in more than 170 IBX ® (International Business Exchange) data centers spanning 45 metres, ECX Fabric is an on-demand, SDN-enabled interconnection service that enables any company to link between its own distributed infrastructure and that of any of its 2,100 customers, including the world’s largest network and cloud service providers, on the Equinix Platform.
- Direct and private connectivity to strategic cloud service providers is essential, as digital transformation stimulates higher demand for localized digital services at the edge. According to the Global Interconnection Index (GXI) Volume 3, a market report released by Equinix, various interconnecting clouds and IT Services across multiple edge locations and cloud regions represent the next largest and fastest use of bandwidth interconnection and are expected to grow 13x by 2022.
Read Full Story Here: Equinix to Extend Customer Access to Alibaba Cloud in 17 Markets